Friday, March 4, 2011

OMG!!

   Today was what has become a typical day for us.  Chris went to work, I dropped the kids at school, went to the gym, ran some errands, walked the dog, and then picked the kids up.  It was another gorgeous day so we walked Jackson along the beach, looking at this:








Nice, right?

Then, after dinner, I was in the kitchen and looked up and saw this:






Not nice!! I did not include the zoomed in photos because I can't stand to look at them.  This bleepin' thing was HUGE!!!  And in our house.  Bigger than any spider either one of us has ever seen, and that includes Chris's Florida experiences with banana spiders.  The body was approximately 1 1/2" - 2" long and it was easily 4-5 inches across the leg span.  I stifled a scream, came out with a gasp instead and motioned Chris into the kitchen.  With no words, we both ushered Mia into her room to stay until the "problem" was taken care of.  She is mortified of even the tiniest of arachnids and this would put her into immediate counseling.  Sam was amused and wanted to know if it was a tarantula.  Possibly.  After a quick "web" search to determine if it was a deadly funnel spider (we don't think so), Chris and I put on some shoes, he grabbed a broom and a towel, and then.. I left the room.  I heard a whack, a girly squeal, and then another whack or two.  Problem solved:




Ugh.  I think we might as well stay up and watch a movie or something because I won't be sleeping.  Chris is out walking the dog while the massive bats fly over his head.  I'll save that for another post. 

Anybody still want to visit?

I can't end like that so here's a look at Jackson getting comfortable in his new digs.



7 comments:

Marie said...

Holy SH**^^^ That things is huge. I saw some big scorpions in Arizona that creeped me out - but that beats them all. What kind of spider is it? Thanks for not posting the close-ups - how did you stand to take them? UGHHH

Rich said...

Here's a (sneaky) identification chart: http://www.anoble.com.au/Spiders/SpiderID.htm

Looks like a "Huntsman Spider" - non agressive and not dangerous (physically, at least - psychologically your results may vary).

Now I need to warn Andrea to avoid your blog...

-= Rich

Matt said...

AHHHHHH! Can you hear me screaming all the way in Chapel Hill?! That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. I think I feel a bit nauseous.

lissahen said...

omg is right. the prettiest beach front ever and the ugliest spider. land of extremes huh.

Unknown said...

OMG! Rich just called to warn me but -of course- I could not not see. OMG! OMG! OMG! This seriously makes me think again if we really want to visit. No kidding. Is there any way you can deter these creatures to come into the house? Shall we stay at a hotel? I honestly think I may have to take tranquilizers if I come over... close-ups? these are close enough! Aaaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I feel literally sick right now... and yet I can't stop looking at the beast. Honestly, I am nauseous!

pbsteele said...

You had me in hysterics with your spider post! Sorry you are experiencing some unsavory down under freaks of nature:) Still, I'm sure you will get used to it! I'd still visit, no problem, if we could afford it!
And I'm so happy to see Jackson reunited with you guys!!!