Friday, February 4, 2011

Not Aussie Enough for Vegemite

     The kids finished up their first week of school today, complete with surfing at Long Reef Beach for Mia.  She bounced over at the end of school asked to have a sleepover with a friend. Although it wasn't actually feasible this time, I'm thrilled that she's found a friend.  Sam had Sport (P.E.) today and was excited to show me the gymnastic equipment in the gym.  So, even though it was a bit exhausting for all of us, the first week went well.

     Mia has been interested in vegemite since we arrived.  She wanted to buy some at the grocery store the first day and has watched her classmates eating vegemite sandwiches this week.  This afternoon she gave it a whirl.  I think her face says it all.  Not quite a hit. 



     Many things here are very familiar and it's easy to see why Americans feel so comfortable here.  Things are similar, but different too.  

No idea why it's not Burger King here.
Notice the ominpresent "safety" camera in the upper left of the photo.



More Friday afternoon sailboat racing.

There's always something interesting to watch from up here.  This cruise ship was heading out to sea.
     In a funny coincidence, I met a fellow blogger this week.  In August when I was trying to get my head wrapped around the possibility of moving here, I sought out information from blogs.  I figured that someone else had probably moved here with kids and that I could learn a lot that way.  I found several great blogs, one of which is written by a Californian with three kids.  When we decided to rent the Mosman house, I looked her blog back up, thinking that I recalled that she lived in the same area.  As Chris and I stood in the uniform line at the kids' school, I thought I recognized her right in front of us.  It was her and even funnier is that she knows the folks who lived in the rental house before us! So nice to meet you and looking forward to coffee one day!
    

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so funny about the blogger. It's a small world after all!
Continue to enjoy and adapt... we follow your adventures from afar. Much Love.

Matt said...

Gotta put lots of butter on the bread with not too much vegemite. Its an acquired taste. I'm the only one in our house who ever learned to like it. It makes great gravy though.
Jen