Thursday, July 21, 2011

Even In Australia

     Remember that children's book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?  Alexander has a bad day where nothing goes his way.  At the end of the book, he wants to move to Australia but his mom assures him that even in Australia, people have bad days.

   We had that kind of week.  Monday the car overheated and had to go into the shop for a new radiator. Jackson arrived back from the vet and within hours had a raging case of diarrhea.  This meant I was up with him every 2-3 hours for 24 hours.  He must have had 12 butt baths in one day (I almost chopped that long fur numerous times).  It turns out it was the wettest day in Sydney in July in 23 years.  Good time to have no car and a sick pet!  Sam lost his school fleece (I found it soaked with mud), I lost his rain jacket (didn't find that one), and Mia discovered she had not packed a swimsuit after our 30 minute trek to the pool in a downpour.  As I was trying to find Sam's jacket, the store I was in started playing James Taylor's Carolina In My Mind.  Ugh.  If you want to make me homesick....

   Nothing to do but laugh!  We've gotta wonder what's going to happen tomorrow. 

   On the good side - Chris may be able to avoid knee surgery, the dog is doing better, there were lots of dolphins in the harbor, and Chris stopped on his way home from the airport and brought me a lovely NC treat, Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  The only "real" Krispy Kreme is next to the airport and the "Hot Now" sign was even on!  I think my luck may be turning.
   By the way, the versions of the Alexander and the .... book that are sold here end with people having bad days "even in Timbuktu."


Feeling better now


4 comments:

pbsteele said...

Oh dear, some days are just horrible! Glad your luck is turning now Rachel, and you enjoyed a Krispy Kreme! and sorry to hear about Chris's knee:(

Allison said...

Oh bless your heart! I bet that saying will make you homesick too! Things must start getting better! They must and they will! Until they do eat more donuts!
Sorry I was in a rush today and was so rude! I was as usual late.

Unknown said...

Glad Krispy Kreme came to the rescue :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

Adorable picture. We left our ruby cavalier in NJ (we are US expats in Melbourne) and miss him very much. Thanks for the pic. We are Wolverines & Terrapins in Melbourne. :)